The Naming of Buena Park
The exact derivation of the name Buena Park is uncertain but most likely relates to the artesian well and it’s park-like grounds once located at the current intersection of Artesia and Beach Blvds. (formerly Grand Ave.). Local settlers referred to the area as “Plaza Buena,” which means “good park” in Spanish. The mixing of the Spanish and English languages to name Buena Park reflects the major historical influences in the area.
Original Spanish explorers settled on the enormous ranchos by land grants made by the King of Spain. Manuel Nieto of the Portola Expedition received such a grant in 1783, which was divided by his heirs into five separate ranchos in 1834. One of them, 46,806-acre Rancho Los Coyotes, included the current site of the City of Buena Park where the rancho’s adobe headquarters was located on what is now Los Coyotes County Clubs’s golf course.